Image for representation.I am a second year BE student (Biotechnology). I want to do my MS abroad. Could you please throw light on different programmes offered for biotech students and also about some universities? What will be the best time for me to take up TOEFL exam? Is it better if I take it after the third year or final year?


Dear Anushree,

Programmes offered by various universities in the field of Biotechnology include Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Health Sciences, Veterinary Science, Medicine, Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical & Food Industries, Microbiology, Cell & Molecular Biology Research, Plant and Agricultural Biotechnology, Forensic Sciences, Nutrition, Pharmacology and Biophysics. Some of the best Universities for Biotechnology in the US are: Yale, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern and Purdue, in the UK are Nottingham Trent University, Glasgow, Kings College London, Cambridge, Imperial College London and Durham, in Canada are McGill and University of Toronto, in Europe are KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Chalmers University of Technology and Lund University in Sweden, Technical University of Denmark, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, Technical University of Berlin, Germany. Take TOEFL at the end of your third year so you are ready with your scores when you start your applications at the beginning of fourth year. If you want to keep your options open for UK, then, take the IELTS instead of TOEFL. UK does not accept TOEFL scores. Whereas, all countries accept the IELTS scores.

Dear Madam,

I am a final year BE student (Civil) with an aggregate of 65%. I am willing to pursue MBA abroad (UK, Germany or Australia). Please guide me with the best universities and job opportunities. Also explain the procedures to be followed.


Dear Raj,

If you are keen on an MBA, I suggest you work for three years before you apply to study. Most of the good universities need a minimum of three years of work experience from students who wish to pursue an MBA. Alternately, you can pursue an MSc or MS in areas such as Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Human Resource Management, Business Analytics, Operations Management and Entrepreneurship. Most good universities in every country offer an MBA programme. For specific information on universities, programme, job opportunities and application procedures, please visit

Dear Madam,

I am currently studying in the third year of MBBS. At this stage, we have already been exposed to the clinical side of medicine for about two years. Most people in India are of the opinion that a MBBS degree holder should later become a clinical practitioner. But I still haven’t found the interest for that. I have always been more interested in research. Can you please let me know about the different options available abroad to pursue research after completing MBBS.


Dear Sheetal,

Research work in any area of specialisation is possible after your MBBS. If you want to go to the US, take the USMLE exam. If you wish to study in UK, take the PLAB exam. You can specialise in General Medicine, General Surgery, Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Dermatology, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, ENT, Psychiatry and Anaesthesiology. Universities offer PhD programmes in specific areas such as Cancer Biology, Pharmacology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Cellular & Molecular Biology, Biological Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Cellular & Molecular Medicine, Cellular & Molecular Physiology, Functional Anatomy & Evolution, Health Sciences Informatics, Human Genetics, Neuroscience, Pathobiology and Molecular Biophysics. Depending on your interest, research universities websites, write to professors whose research work interests you and request them to accept you in their department. You need to communicate effectively with professors at various universities and convince them that you will be an asset to their institution.

Dear Madam,

I am a second year BE student (Biotechnology). I wanted to know if a BE student can take up MS or MSc after graduation? If I can take up MSc, then, can I know the universities that offer MSc Clinical Embryology and Pre-implantation genetics abroad? And what will be the best time for me to take up GRE and TOEFL iBT exam?

A student

Dear Student,

You can pursue your MSc in Clinical Embryology and Pre-Implantation genetics after your BE in Biotechnology. This is a one year course in the UK and the only test you need to take is the IELTS Academic. Some of the best universities offering this course are Oxford, University College London, Kings College London, University of Nottingham and Imperial College London. If you wish to pursue this programme in the US, it is called MS and is a two-year program. You would need to write the GRE and TOEFL iBT or IELTS. Take up these tests in the third year of your BE. Columbia University, Stanford, Harvard, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Cornell and University of California San Francisco are known for excellent programmes in this field.

Dear Madam,

I have recently completed my pre-university education and will be entering engineering stream. I have planned to do my postgraduation abroad (particularly UK). Can you please suggest the examinations I should prepare for to get into the universities abroad? And what would be the right time for me to start preparing for these examinations?


Dear Rohan,

The only exam you need to write to pursue your studies in UK is the IELTS exam. This is a simple English test that has four parts – speaking, reading, writing and listening. Take this exam during the start of your BE. You don’t need much preparation for this test. Go to the British Council website and work on a few practice papers.

Dear Madam,

I Have completed BE (civil engineering) and want to get into research in India or abroad. Please guide me.


Dear Goutham,

If you want to pursue your PhD, you need to first identify your research topic. Go to the websites of different universities and read up on research work conducted by various professors at these universities. Narrow down on a few universities and professors whose research work is of interest to you. Communicate with these professors and request them to accept you for a research program. Since most PhD programmes are fully funded, you need to convince these professors that you will be worthy of their investment in you.

Dear Madam,

I am doing my Dental BDS-Internship in Bengaluru. I will be completing the course by October 2017. I want more information regarding higher studies in dentistry in any of the following countries – UK, USA, Canada, Australia and Germany. Please let me know the PG courses in Dentistry for which I can join after my internship and also the exams and the scores required. Could you please suggest the courses and the universities with the eligibility criteria, and also the course fees, norms etc.


Dear Jayashree,

The Masters courses offered in the field of Dentistry are Endodontics, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, Dental Public Health, Dental Material Science, Diagnostic Oral Pathology, Orthodontics and Dental Technology among others. To pursue your Masters in Dentistry in the UK, you need to write the IELTS test and ORE exam. To pursue your Masters in Australia you need to write the ADC and IELTS. To pursue your Masters in the US, you need to write NBDE part 1, GRE and TOEFL iBT or IELTS. To pursue your Masters in Canada, you need to write the NDEB exam, GRE and TOEFL or IELTS. To pursue your Masters in Germany you need to write the GRE and TOEFL and medical German language exam at C1 level. To be able to practise you have to get the ‘Approbation’ which is the medical license issued by the German state that permits doctors to work in their profession.