About this course
How do you create realistic animations? It’s key to the success of animated films to insure audiences believe in characters.
This course will show you how to create lifelike animations focusing on the technical aspects of CGI animation and also give you a glimpse into how studios approach the art of physically-based animation.
You will learn the fundamental concepts of physical simulation, including:
- integration of ordinary differential equations such as those needed to predict the motion of a dress in the wind.
- formulation of models for physical phenomena such as crumpling sheet metal and flowing water.
- treatment of discontinuities such as fractures and collisions.
- simulation of liquids and solids in both Lagrangian and Eulerian coordinates.
- artistic control of physically-based animations.
These concepts will be put into practice in the programming assignments spanning:
- Discretizing and integrating Newton’s equations of motion
- Constrained Lagrangian Mechanics
- Collisions, contact, and friction: detection and response
- Continuum mechanics
- Finite elements
- Rigid body simulation
- Thin shell and cloth simulation
- Elastic rod and hair simulation
- Fluid simulation
- Control of physical simulations
What you’ll learn
- To code your own physics simulator to master the fundamental algorithms for creating lifelike animations clothing, hair, liquids, rigid bodies and more!
- Temporal integration of the equations of motion
- Formulation of mathematical models for mechanical systems
- Numerical methods for treating contact and impact
- Lagrangian and Eulerian representations of continua control of physical models
Meet the instructor
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($300)
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally