About this course
Ready to take control of your finances? Whether you are saving for a house or retirement, struggling with your yearly taxes, or wondering if you should invest your stocks and bonds, there are many questions when it comes to personal finances. There are many benefits, both long and short term, to learning the keys of financial planning and becoming a financially savvy consumer.
This course, part 1 of 2, will teach you to think financially about investing in yourself and your future. We will discuss investments in education and jobs, from evaluating the costs and benefits of selecting a training program to analyzing salary and benefit packages.
Part 1 covers investment in education and salary and benefits:
- Human capital investment
- Net Present Value Analysis (NPV)
- Internal Rate of Return Analysis (IRR)
- Parameterized Spreadsheet Analysis
- Employment Contracts & Making the most of work benefits
Once you’ve completed Part 1, you can enroll in Personal Finance-Part 2 where we will tackle taxes, effective purchasing, investing in financial assets such as stocks and bond, and saving for retirement.
Join us today and take control of your personal finances!
What you’ll learn
- How to apply basic economic and financial principles (net present value, internal rate of return, compounding) to personal financial decisions
- How to model personal financial decisions using spreadsheets
- How to critically evaluate financial information for bias and other criteria
- How to analyze financial implications (costs and benefits) of most of your life decisions
Meet the instructor
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($50)
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally